Sunday, January 3, 2021

Life Interrupted

(This was originally written in 2015)

As I was praying and meditating this morning, wondering what direction I would be led in now that my job recently ended, I contemplated how important it is for me to wait upon Yehovah to lead me in all aspects of my life. I rehearsed in my thoughts all the many blessings he has already bestowed upon me throughout my life and how he has never abandoned me. Surely I can depend upon him today as I look to the future. Who knows what he has in store for me?

Suddenly my thoughts turned to a dear friend of mine, Susan, whom I have known for only a short time, just a year, but who has impacted me in such a profound way. I met her October a year ago when I began attending a small Torah study group in my area. Each month, her insights and knowledge of scripture propelled me toward a much deeper understanding of our creator and his plan for our lives. She has played a huge role in my growth as a believer on so many levels and I marvel at how Yehovah has used her to advance his Kingdom message.

Susan had been a believer for many years and raised her children in a local Assemblies of God congregation. One day Yehovah spoke to her heart and revealed to her that she was going to be taken in an entirely new direction. He revealed himself to her in ways that few of us experience. She and her husband, along with a friend, started this small fellowship in order to teach others Torah, the biblical festivals, the Sabbath, and the beauty of the Hebrew language, through which Yehovah first revealed himself to mankind. Several years ago, Susan's husband suffered a sudden heart attack that took his life. They had shared a long marriage, resulting in eight children. All are grown now, except her youngest, Nathan. 

Last Fall, events in Susan's life took an unexpected turn. She and Nathan had to move out of their townhouse apartment and she didn't have money enough to relocate. One of her sons is in the State Dept, stationed in Bangkok, Thailand, and invited them to come there for a couple of months for a visit, allowing Susan to save her money and get a new start upon her return to the States this month.

Upon preparing for the trip, a friend in Israel told her of a small group of believers in Bangkok, who were studying the Torah, that she could connect with upon her arrival. The rest of the story is truly amazing. She not only began meeting with this group each Sabbath, but her knowledge of scripture also blew them away and they began asking her to teach them. Our small group was able to provide ten bibles, "The Scriptures" version and have them drop-shipped to Bangkok. This version is a closer translation to the original, using the original names of the Father and son, as well as the original names of people and places spoken of in the bible.

These believers are so zealous for Yehovah's word and, through Susan's teachings, are growing in ways they never could have imagined. And Susan.......one thing has led to another, and she has been invited to speak before other groups and even Churches that don't even teach the Sabbath or Holy Days. She shared four hours with a Muslim man and shared the teachings of the Messiah with him. Invitations have been extended for her to travel to other places; Cambodia, India, all expenses paid.
She was due to return to the States this month, but her visa had to be extended. Yehovah has other plans, and she is fully aware that each day her steps are ordered by him.

As I thought of the significance of these events this morning, my mind began thinking of all those before whose every day, ordinary lives were "interrupted" by a divine calling. I thought about Noah, Abraham, Moses, Daniel, David, the prophets, and the disciples. If we are willing to follow Yehovah with all our hearts, minds, souls, and bodies, we too can be used mightily in advancing his soon-coming Kingdom on this earth. Each day we have an opportunity to step up and make a difference.

Each new day is a mystery. We make our plans, go through the lives that we have built, and one day....who knows? Our everyday, ordinary lives just might be interrupted! Yehovah might call out our name and say, "Come, follow me! I have a job for you."

May Yehovah continue to bless Susan and all who eagerly answer his call with a resounding YES!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Biblical Recipe

 I don't consider myself to be a great cook, especially since I have become a widow. Cooking for one is not exciting, and trying out rec...