Tuesday, December 19, 2023

The Biblical Recipe

 I don't consider myself to be a great cook, especially since I have become a widow. Cooking for one is not exciting, and trying out recipes that contain a multitude of ingredients is not my idea of fun, not to mention the cost associated with purchasing so many items just for one sit-down meal for myself. Nevertheless, I have recently decided to try out some healthy recipes that look appetizing, in addition to being simple one pan dishes with few ingredients. I'm even learning to improvise a little when the recipe might call for chicken and I substitute sausage, or I might add an ingredient or two that may add flavor, such as mushrooms, garlic or a certain spice that I feel would be a good fit. I find myself enjoying creating flavorful meals and have even invited a couple of my friends over to share a meal with me. My culinary skills are improving greatly, and my meals are becoming much more exciting and something I look forward to rather than dread.

With that said, The Lord used this new experience to reveal something about His word that really spoke to me in a tangible way I had never given thought to before. The Bible is, in many ways God's recipe for life. His word contains everything I need to live out my life in obedience to Him and to inherit the Eternal life He promises to all who follow His commands.

However, I cannot substitute ingredients as I do with my meal prep. His recipe is perfect. It doesn't need me to tamper with it. Deuteronomy 4:2 instructs "Ye shall not add unto the word which I command you, neither shall ye diminish ought from it, that ye may keep the commandments of the LORD your God which I command you". These are very clear instructions.

I see a lack of reverence for God's word in today's culture. We are getting further away from the Bible and creating our own "recipe" for life according to our desires. What does God have to say about this?

 Isaiah 55:7-9 "Let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts: and let him return unto the LORD, and he will have mercy upon him; and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon. For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts."

We need to follow God's recipe as it has been given in His word. We have no right to change it or make substitutes to it. It is perfect! Unfortunately, not only in our secular world, but even in Christianity, we have often disregarded God's instructions and chosen to create our own substitutions. Each of us needs to return to the Bible to discover what God really instructs and make the necessary changes in our lives to conform to His ways. They are the path to eternal life and there's no substitute for that!


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Biblical Recipe

 I don't consider myself to be a great cook, especially since I have become a widow. Cooking for one is not exciting, and trying out rec...